A drug overdose is the poisoning of an individual as a result of taking too much medication or other substance. The person may be awake and alert, semi-conscious or unresponsive in a coma.


Virtually any type of substance or prescription or "over-the-counter" medication can be taken in overdose. This may occur intentionally or accidentally. Some medications are much more dangerous than others when taken in excess.


Emergency personnel, reached by calling 911 or an ambulance, should be notified immediately if poisoning (overdose) is suspected.


A person can become very sick from an overdose and possibly die if not quickly treated.

Related Links

National Library of Medicine
The National Library of Medicine presents information and pictures about overdose.