Trauma/Burn ICU

The Trauma/Burn ICU cares for patients with major injuries or burns. Patients involved in auto accidents, gunshot injuries or burns are cared for in the Trauma/Burn ICU. Many hospitals do not have a special ICU for trauma/burn patients. In that case, other ICUs, like the Medical/Surgical/Respiratory ICU, will provide care for trauma/burn patients. Occasionally a patient who has sustained trauma or a burn may need to be transferred to a hospital that has a Trauma/Burn ICU. The Trauma/Burn ICU provides injury and wound care and treatments that are specialized to the trauma/burn patient.